Workshop on Cyber Forensics & Crime Investigation
This workshop is dedicated on Cyber Forensics & Crime Investigation. Computer Forensics is a detailed and scientific study, research and implementation of computer science subjects for the purpose of gathering digital evidence in cases of cyber crimes or for other scientific research purposes also it introduces the needs of the current cyber security sector.
Topics to be covered in CF&CI Workshop
Day 1 (First Day)
1.Understanding of an Organization’s IT Environment
- Concept of Zoning – Demilitarized Zone, Militarized Zone
- Basic Servers being used in the IT Environment and their positioning in different Zones
- Brief Insight of the IT Security Devices used
2.What is Computer Forensics all about?
- Difference – Computer Crime & Un-authorized activities.
- 6 steps involved in Computer Forensics – Description of what is to be carried in each step
- Need for forensics investigator
3.Security Incident Response
- What is a Security Incident
- Role of the Investigator in investigating a Security Incident
- Evidence Control and Documentation
- Skills and Training of a Forensics Investigator – Technical, Presentation, Professional
4.Corporate Regulation and Privacy Issues
- Computer Abuse in the Corporate World
- Security Policies
- Security and Acceptable-Use Policies
5.Evidence Control and Documentation
- Document, Documents, Document.
- Evidence Collection and Inventory
- Chain of Custody
- Evidence Storage and Security
6. Building a Forensics Laboratory
- Laboratory Standards
- Facility Physical Security
- Evidence Security
- Portable Forensics Labs
7. COMMERCIAL FORENSICS SOFTWARE TOOLS
- The Case for Commercial Tools
- Access Data Forensics Tool Kit
- DriveSpy and Paraben
Day 2 (Second Day)
8. Open Source FORENSICS TOOLS
Windows Forensic Analysis Tools Open Source
- Process Explorer from SysInternals
- Registry Decoder CPORTS
- Windows File Analyzer
- Windows File Checksum Integrity Verifier
- Registry Ripper
- Microsoft Log Parser Tool
9. Open Source Disk Imaging Tools
- What is Disk Imaging
- Utilities of Disk Imaging Disk Imaging Utilities
- Access Data FTK Imager
10. File Analysis
- What is File Analysis?
- File Attributes
- Unix File Permissions
- Known File Type Signatures & Hashes
- Malware Infected Files
- Virus Characteristics
- Indications of a Trojan Infection
- Worms Windows File Analyzer- File Analysis Software
11. Log analysis
- Why Log Analysis
- Windows Log analysis
- Tools for Log Analysis
- OSSEC HIDS
- Installation Logs
- Windows Event Logs
- UNIX Syslogs
- Firewall and IDS/IPS Logs
- Apache Access Logs & Error Logs
12. Windows Forensics
- LIVE VS DEAD RESPONSES – WHEN AND WHY
- NETWORK CONNECTIONS TCP-States
- Demo-Whats Up Running Tool
- Demo-Process Explorer Tool
- Windows Processes
- Hidden Files
- Concept of ADS (Alternate Data Stream)
- Demo-Windows File Analyser Tool
- AUDITING & THE SECURITY EVENT LOG
- Demo- Windows File Checksum Integrity Verifier
- Demo- Access Data Forensics Tool Kit
- Create a Disk Image
13. Linux Forensics
- Network connections,
- Logging and log files in UNIX
- Linux forensics tools
- Demo - Real Time Command Logging
- Forensic Analysis using OSSEC HIDS
14. CONCLUDING THE INVESTIGATION
- Concluding a Corporate Investigation
- Testifying in Court
- Ethical Responsibilities
This workshop will be beneficial for students in following ways:
- Solid understanding of the security weaknesses of and threats.
- We provide a methodological and systematic approach to gathering information on computer systems and networks, which could be cryptic and hidden and which would otherwise be extremely hard to get through normal routine access to computer resources.
- Faculty and expert from Industries.
- Learn tools used by hackers in exposing common vulnerabilities and those used by security professionals for implementing countermeasures.
- Implementation of the best security techniques and software currently available.
- We provide them future help and guidance for participating in competitions and these competitions makes them skillful and enhance their practical knowledge.
- Also the workshop doesn't end up then and there. They can contact the concerned faculties throughout their graduation or thereafter also if they need any guidance regarding industrial Projects and Placements.
Duration: The duration of this workshop will be two consecutive days, with eight hour session each day in a total of sixteen hours properly divided into theory and hands on sessions.
- Certificate of Merit for all the workshop participants from Innovians Technologies.
- At the end of this workshop, a small competition will be organized among the participating students and winners will be awarded with a 'Certificate of Excellence'.
- Certificate of Coordination for the coordinators of the campus workshops.
Eligibility: It's a basic level workshop so there are no prerequisites. Any one interested, can join this workshop.
Fee: Rs. 1200/-(inclusive of all Taxes) per participant.